gtkpod on ubuntu

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 11 05:36:02 UTC 2007

chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org wrote:

> Jamon Camisso writes:

> >> Okay, I did all of that. The songs that are on the iPod are showing
> >> up in gtkpod, but trying to save an .ogg to the iPod I get:
> >>
> >> Conversion of Track2 failed:
> >> '/usr/share/gtkpod/scripts/convert-ogg2mp3.sh' returned exit status
> >> 4.
> >>
> >> Am I still missing some library or whatnot? I'm suing ubuntu 7.10.
> >
> > I sent a message about installing vorbis-tools, which provides the
> > oggdec binary, which if missing, will throw that "exit status 4" error.
> >
> > Try running "which oggdec" and if it does not find anything, install the
> > vorbis-tools package.
>
> Yeah, I installed that before I got the error. apt-get install vorbis-tools.
> Funny you should mention that. I actually installed it to support an
> application called audio-convert.That app is working for me. I noticed that
> gtkpod does not have the iPod that is mine - it was called iPod nano 4 GB
> video (or close to that) when we did the svn installs (et al) on the fedora
> 7 machine (before the hard drive died). I probably have to do all that svn
> stuff again - no?

No, if you installed the gtkpod and libgpod from the ppa repo, that should do
it. The only thing missing from the libgpod you installed is the ability to get
the firewire ID of the Nano. You will need to do it manually, but it's not that
difficult. From the libgpod README.sysinfo:

"The 2nd method requires more manual intervention. First, you need to get your
firewire id manually. To do that, run "sudo lsusb -v | grep -i Serial" (without
the "") with your iPod plugged in, this should print a 16 character long string
like 00A1234567891231. For an iPod Touch, this number will be much longer than
16 characters, the firewire ID is constituted by the first 16 characters.
Once you have that number, create/edit /mnt/ipod/iPod_Control/Device/SysInfo
(if your iPod is mounted at /mnt/ipod). Add to that file the line below:
FirewireGuid: 0xffffffffffffffff
(replace ffffffffffffffff with the string you obtained at the previous step
and don't forget the trailing 0x before the string)
Save that file, and you should be all set. Be careful when using apps which
lets you manually specify which iPod model you own, they may overwrite that
file when you do that. So if after doing that libgpod still seems to write
invalid content to the iPod, double-check the content of that SysInfo file to
make sure the FirewireGuid line you added isn't gone. If that happens, readd it
to the end of the file, and make sure libgpod rewrite the iPod content."

--
JoeHill