backup & low downtime for home network

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 7 17:50:52 UTC 2007

On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 11:29:36AM -0500, Chris Aitken wrote:
> Actually I only had to leave it alone for 15 minutes and the
> installation proceeded. The installation is complete now. I noticed the
> installer didn't let me make any software installation choices - I guess
> it knows what's good for me. Going back to the step-by-step I was
> following, I'm now advised to do this (so that the second hard drive
> will boot should the first hard drive crash):
>
> sudo grub-install /dev/sda
> sudo grub
> grub> device (hd0) /dev/sdb
> grub> root (hd0,0)
> grub> setup (hd0)
> grub> quit
>
> Is this wise counsel?

Sounds reasonable.  I must admit I just do:
dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count=1

Copies the partition table and master boot record and everything in the
first sector completely.  Always worked for me.  It does NOT work if you
have extended partitions however.  I never use those anymore though
since LVM is way better.

--
Len Sorensen