backup & low downtime for home network

Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 7 16:29:36 UTC 2007

Chris Aitken wrote:

>> <snip>
>>
>>> I'm stalled in the ubuntu installer. About five screens into the
>>> installation I get a "Starting up the Partitioner" status bar. The
>>> status bar immediately climbs to 46% then is stuck there. These are
>>> two brand-new 160 GB hard disk drives - I don't think I have enough
>>> information to know if one of them is bad. I did the integrity check
>>> on the installation CD - it's fine.
>>

>> Someone wrote/posted a step-by-step how to install ubuntu 7.10 from
>> the "Altenate Install CD" in a RAID 1 configuration. I'm downloading
>> the Alternate Install CD now.  I'm going to give it a try. Maybe it
>> won't stall at the Partitioner.
>

> It looks like the ubuntu installation is going okay. I did the RAID
> stuff. Before that, I actually installed fedora 7 from the live cd as
> I was having trouble with the ubuntu installation. That way I could
> try out my new understanding of setting up software RAID. And it gave
> me an installation with which I could download/burn the .iso for
> ubuntu Alternate Install CD. That is the CD I am installing with now.
> The concepts as I understand them are: 1. Make two identical partition
> schemes on the two hard disks (with only two parameters: size and
> 'physical volume for RAID'), 2. 'Configure software RAID', 3. Make the
> MD devices (three in my case: /, <swap>, and /home), and, finally, 4.
> Choose filesystem and mount point for each "partition" (MD device).
>
> I shant get too cocky though - for the second attempt at installation
> I seem to be stuck at 'Select and Install Software...6%' just like I
> was in the first attempt.
> The CD-ROM drive and hard drive are just thrashing about. Painful to
> watch. I guess I'll leave it alone for an hour and if it costs me a
> CD-ROM drive, so be it.

Actually I only had to leave it alone for 15 minutes and the
installation proceeded. The installation is complete now. I noticed the
installer didn't let me make any software installation choices - I guess
it knows what's good for me. Going back to the step-by-step I was
following, I'm now advised to do this (so that the second hard drive
will boot should the first hard drive crash):

sudo grub-install /dev/sda
sudo grub
grub> device (hd0) /dev/sdb
grub> root (hd0,0)