thunderbird point to saved mail file

Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 5 02:05:21 UTC 2007

chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org wrote:

> Sorry guys but I'm recreating this thread. I lost the mail on the
> server while experimenting with thunderbird. I've got to remember to
> set Account Settings to 'Leave Messages on Server' 'Until I delete or
> move them from Inbox'. That way I won't lose mail with troubleshooting
> tips (for mail!). Losing mail while trying to save mail is a tragic
> irony.
> I think my main problem is that I don't understand what 'Local
> Folders' means.

It looks like I'm okay now. I can live without knowing what 'Local
Folders' is. My workaround wisdom is to leave it alone.

> By default thunderbird seems to want to create two acounts as kind of
> part of the one account. One I have to name (chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org)
> and the other one is simply 'Local Folders'. To further muddy the
> waters, the chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org needs to point to a 'Local
> Directory' - that is the one I try to point to my saved mail
> directory. But you can't point 'Local Folders' to that same directory
> - it won't accept that.

Again, I left 'Local Folders' alone. I concentrated on pointing the
'Local Directory' for chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org (what I named the account)
to my saved mail directory.

<snip>

> What's also bugging me is that my saved mail directory (which I named
> 'mymail') does not have the stuff analagous to what thunderbird
> creates by default.

The "stuff" was there - but some of it was in funny places. The most
important of these was that the saved "Inbox", "Sent" (et al.) were
buried in a mail folder I had created where they should be in the root
mail directory. I put them in the root mail directory and all is well
now. I figured this out by making changes to the saved mail directory,
firing up thunderbird to see how it looked, closing thunderbird, making
necessary changes in the mail directory, firing up thunderbird and
repeating this process until everything looked right.

Thanks,

Chris

<snip>