backup & low downtime for home network

Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 5 20:11:46 UTC 2007

I want to have a backup system for our home network. We have four PCs
(I'm going to call them PCs here to mean they are linux computers as
opposed to MACs - I don't mean PC as in a Microsoft computer). cpc is my
multimedia (emu1212m soundcard, printer is attached, DVD burner,
audacity) and production machine for my guitar lessons business. ppc is
the administrative computer (spreadsheets, documents, artwork) for the
business. dpc is my daughter's machine which has our first non-rpm-based
distro (ubuntu) - that's the machine I'll be setting up to use gtkpod
with the 3rd gen. iPod video nano. bpc is my son's computer - he doesn't
do much with it right now (just homework).

cpc: 20 GB master hard drive (that just died) and 10 GB slave hard drive
(I keep .ogg's on it), 384 MB RAM, PIII 733 MHz

ppc: 20 GB master hard drive and 6 GB slave hard drive (for backups),
256 MB RAM, AMD Duron 800 MHz

dpc: 13.5 GB hard drive, 256 MB RAM, PIII 733 MHz

bpc: 13.5 GB hard drive, 256 MB RAM, PIII 733 MHz

My two goals are 1. backup, and 2. low down-time when a hard drive goes.
For instance, this hard drive crash I lost some data (not much because I
do backups, but some), and my production machine will be down for a
while because I have to install so much software (OS, apps, printer,
netwrok printing).

I just bought two identical 160 GB WD hard drives. So, I could set up
software RAID 1 as Lennart suggested - it would be the first time doing
this. How much slower will my computer really be due to the mirror? Will
I take a hit, say, when recording in audacity? Are RAID 1 cards cheap?
Would that give me hardware RAID and would the performace gain be worth
the effort? Are there any other solutions you guys suggest looking at
given the machines I have and all the hard drivves on them that coulkd
be redistributed? the only hard drive that is married to a machine is
the 20 GB hard drive on ppc (it's working real good for what my wife
needs so I don't want to mess with it - anything else is possible, though...

Chris