thunderbird point to saved mail file

chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 5 00:56:35 UTC 2007

Sorry guys but I'm recreating this thread. I lost the mail on the server
while experimenting with thunderbird. I've got to remember to set Account
Settings to 'Leave Messages on Server' 'Until I delete or move them from
Inbox'. That way I won't lose mail with troubleshooting tips (for mail!).
Losing mail while trying to save mail is a tragic irony.

I think my main problem is that I don't understand what 'Local Folders'
means. By default thunderbird seems to want to create two acounts as kind of
part of the one acount. One I have to name (chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org) and the
other one is simply 'Local Folders'. To further muddy the waters, the
chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org needs to point to a 'Local Directory' - that is the
one I try to point to my saved mail directory. But you can't point 'Local
Folders' to that same directory - it won't accept that.

Any clarification. I'll try not to thrash about. Thrashing about is all I
can do when I don't understand what I'm up against.

I did make notes with your ideas. One idea was to save my mail directory in
(or inplace of - I never heard back as to which) ~./thunderbird

I tried that - it didn't seem to work. What's also bugging me is that my
saved mail directory (which I named 'mymail') does not have the stuff
analagous to what thunderbird creates by default.

I'm removing thunderbird now and manually deleting the folders it created so
I can try again. Any ideas what to do differently this time?

Chris