gtkpod on ubuntu

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 3 01:53:28 UTC 2007

On December 2, 2007 08:16:02 pm chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org wrote:
> JoeHill writes:
> > JoeHill wrote:
> >>
> >> Told ya it wouldn't be long, just saw this on #gtkpod :-)
> >>
> >> Add this to your /etc/apt/sources.list:
> >>
> >> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ipod-touch/ubuntu gutsy main
> >>
> >> then:
> >>
> >> sudo apt-get update
> >>
> >> then install libgpod3 and gtkpod
> >
> > ...maybe Jamon can shed some light on this. Thought I would test
> > this on my Ubuntu system and it's kinda weird. I did and apt-get
> > install gtkpod, but it did not pull down libgpod3 automatically,
> > even though the version on the PPA I linked to says it depends on
> > libgpod3 (has to if it supports new Classic/Nano iPods).
> >
> > I know this PPA is enabled, because if I specifically do an apt-get
> > install libgpod3, it works fine. When I do the same for gtkpod, it
> > gets the old version, not the one I want. The one thing I notice is
> > that the version from ubuntu.com is 0.99.10-2, the version I want
> > is 0.99.10-2~ppa1.
>
> Okay. I'll wait for more information before doing anything else (the
> line between troubleshooting and thrashing about is fine, for me). I
> tried all your steps and like you, got gtkpod 0.99.10-2, not
> 0.99.10-2~ppa1. I fired up gtkpod and tried to an Add File and a Save
> Changes and got the message:
>
> Conversion of 'Track 2' failed:
> '/usr/share/gtkpod/scripts/convert-ogg2mp3.sh' returned exit status
> 4.

Here's the relevant part of that script, starting at line 19:

# Return Codes:
#   0 ok
#   1 input file not found
#   2 output file cannot be created
#   3 cannot get info
#   4 cannot exec decoding
#   5 cannot exec encoding
#   6 conversion failed
#   7 unknown option

Moving to line 76 I see this:

# Check for the existence of oggdec
oggdec=`which oggdec`
if [ -z "$oggdec" ]; then
    exit 4
fi

# Check for the existence of lame
lame=`which lame`
if [ -z "$lame" ]; then
    exit 5
fi

So you'll need to have the vorbis-tools packages installed (for decoding
and encoding oggs) and (preemptively if you don't already) lame/liblame
for decoding/encoding mp3s.

Jamon