your chance to buy an HP desktop without MS Windows!

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 1 18:40:46 UTC 2007

On Friday 30 November 2007 09:32:07 Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> It's still an HP pavilion, which is something I would not want to have
> to deal with.  My experience over the last few years is that all HP
> consumer products are terrible.

Yeah, I bought an HP system for my mum.  Looked good but keyboard was USB and
wouldn't work unless I disabled USB legacy mode in the BIOS.  No matter what
BIOS USB settings I chose the computer would not recognize USB keys or her
digital camera (the kernel wasn't even registering that a device had
appeared).

I upgraded her recently to 2.6.22 kernel an now all the USB issues seem to be
resolved however the issue of BIOS updates is still problematic (windows
only).  IIIRC I managed to extract a firmware image from the windows
executable however I wasn't able to find a flash utility that was willing to
function with the board.

HP has their act together on the server side of the Linux world but when it
comes to consumer products Linux is totally ignored as far as I can tell.  I
won't make the mistake of buying another HP desktop, either homebuilt or much
better researched brandname next time around.

--
Fraser Campbell <fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org>
Georgetown, Ontario, Canada