interacting with wondows on a new laptop//endnote functionality

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 24 13:48:42 UTC 2007

On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 02:49:58PM -0400, Matt Price wrote:
> my girlfriend is buying a new laptop (thinkpad x61s, looks sweet) and is
> ready to make the switch to linux.  However, she has one serious
> requirement that makes it difficult to make the full switch.  She writes
> in MS Word and uses endnote to manage her citations.  She has a
> substantial endnote database which she needs to retain access to, and
> she also uses endnote's in-paper citation facility  from inside word.
> There don't really seem to be equivalents in openoffice for these
> features; the bibliographic project is working on implementing some, but
> that is at LEAST a year off; and as far as i can tell endnote doesn't
> really run in WINE.

You can always dual boot.  Or use vmware, although that would require
buying a copy of windows to run in vmware.

> One option is to use zotero from firefox, but i don't think that's
> really satisfacory either.  So i think michelle will need to run windows
> from time to time.  The best option would be to run xp or vista as a
> virtual machine inside linux, but this may be very processor-intensive,
> and also, i htink it's hard to suspend-to-disk and suspend-to-ram from
> the host os when virtual os's are running.   I know that the ubuntu
> xen-enabled kernels don't have suspend options enabled.  Suspending will
> be pretty much essential on this machine, though. So what i'm hoping to
> do is to use the vista or xp partition as a vm under vmware, xen, or
> kvm, with a dual-boot option also enabled.  Has anyone done this?  Any
> suggestions on what to do?  the laptop won't be here for a week or two
> but i want to have a plan of action in place before it arrives.

Personally I think the Asus R1F looks like a much nicer laptop and
better deal than the thinkpad.  My wife loves hers.  (She has the
R1F-K018E with an extra 1GB ram added for $50.  The R1F-K049E has 2GB
already, and a larger disk and faster cpu).  There are even people
working on finishing the driver for the wacom based tablet interface for
linux.  Apparently most of it is working as far as I can tell.

Using vista under a VM violates the license.  XP would be OK.

--
Len Sorensen