interacting with wondows on a new laptop//endnote functionality

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 31 03:59:14 UTC 2007

Sheldon Mustard wrote:
> On 8/23/07, Matt Price <matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> It was a while back for me but I did do something close to this IIRC:
>
> http://www.venturecake.com/a-simple-guide-to-using-your-existing-windows-install-apps-in-ubuntu/

Thanks for that link. I have been wanting to boot Windows from within Linux
using some sort of emulation or virtual machine set up for a while. The web
page helped as I got a bit nervous when I saw the messages that popped up when
I told vmware I wanted to boot from a partition.

I'm at the point where booting windows gives me a BSOD during boot before it
restarts trying to boot Windows. The BSOD screen appears for such a brief time
that I can't read the messages.

I think I need to install the SCSI drivers even though I'm only using SATA
drives. I also keep seeing references to the vmware tools package. I haven't
figured out where to download this yet.

In addition to the web page above, it gave me an idea of a search to perform
on the vmware site. This let me find a PDF file which details setting up
vmware on a dual boot machine. The PDF file can be found at:
http://www.vmware.com/pdf/dualboot_tech_note.pdf

--
Cheers!

Kevin.