vi vs Emacs debate live at GTALUG September 11 !!!

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 24 01:51:15 UTC 2007

For the September meeting I'd like to run a debate (sort of).

The title of the debate is "Emacs is superior to vi".  This will be a friendly
and well natured debate on the relative merits of our favourite two editors.

I need 3 people for the affirmative and 3 people for the negative.  The
affirmative people will be saying Emacs is superior to vi while the negative
people will be disputing this.  Each person will speak for 4-5 minutes.

Please email me asap to be a debater in GTALUG's inaugural debate and indicate
which side you would prefer to debate (or if you have no preference).  One
thing we can be sure of - GTALUG has plenty of people ready to make themselves
heard ;)

Important Clarifications:

- The title is deliberately vague - the definition of Emacs here includes all
past & present versions of the OS^H^Heditor.

- vi is correctly pronounced "vee eye".  The vi team are expected to pronounce
vi correctly.  The Emacs team may be granted a little more latitude in how to
pronounce vi.  The vi team may get away with saying "Emucks".

- Debaters may demonstrate points in either editor using a Linux system and the
overhead projector during their debate.

- Participants will be selected in the order the emails arrive in my inbox.  If
we have more than 6 offers of participation then those who offered first will
be invited to be judges.

- Participants in this debate will have first right of refusal on being a judge
in future debates until such time as they take up the offer.

Thanks,

Rob