Novell OpenOffice for other distros?

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 24 11:40:25 UTC 2007

On 8/23/07, James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> FWIW, I have on occasion compiled from source and it means I can run
> software that's not otherwise available.  Also, RPM based systems have
> something called "checkinstall", which can make RPMs from source, which
> I have done as well.  I assume there's something similar for .DEBs.

checkinstall on a Debian system makes .deb packages - I didn't know it
worked on RPM-based systems.  Nice to hear it.  I've used it a LOT
rather than installing from source: it gets the installed files listed
in the package system so they don't get wiped out by a conflicting deb
later (although I don't know how to generate proper dependencies for
the packages it makes, so I wouldn't donate them back to the
community).  checkinstall is great.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/