Novell OpenOffice for other distros?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 23 16:49:59 UTC 2007

Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> James Knott wrote:
>
>> Have you tried installing it?  the RPMs are availalble
>>
> Sigh, This just brings us back to my original question ... is anyone
> here aware of efforts to repackage it for other distros?
>
> Unfortunately, RPM != RPM. SuSE ones don' t generally work on Fedora,
> whose RPMs don't work on Mandriva, etc. My past attempts to load one
> distro's RPMs on another's system have tended to end in heartbreak.
> Dependency renaming and all sorts of other problems.
>
> In any case, I'm currently using .deb based distros.
>

>> and if that fails, there's always the source.
>>
> For Linux to be considered at all as a mainstream alternative, this is
> no longer an acceptable answer (if it ever was). Anyone capable of
> actually executing this option is already aware its availability.

For someone to repackage it, they'll have to do what I suggested.  They
get the source and make a new package.  If you, the person who's looking
for that, is able to do so, why don't you do it and contribute it to
another group?  That is part of what the Linux community does, to make
things easier for others.  As for having the source available, that's
one of the strengths of Linux, in that someone can take a package and
move it to another system, even with different CPU etc.

FWIW, I have on occasion compiled from source and it means I can run
software that's not otherwise available.  Also, RPM based systems have
something called "checkinstall", which can make RPMs from source, which
I have done as well.  I assume there's something similar for .DEBs.

BTW, if you go this route, make sure you get the latest packages, as the
main site includes the packages as originally distributed.