interacting with wondows on a new laptop//endnote functionality

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 24 02:13:03 UTC 2007

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007, Matt Price wrote:

> virtual machine inside linux, but this may be very processor-intensive,

Hi Matt.  My wife runs Ubuntu on the desktop with MS-Windows running under
VMWare.  A pretty common solution really.  The laptop has a dual core
T2300 and 2GB of ram.  The VMWare session get a 256MB.  She has no
performance problems at all.

> and also, i htink it's hard to suspend-to-disk and suspend-to-ram from
> the host os when virtual os's are running.   I know that the ubuntu

Yes this has proven to be something of a drag.  When she ran a full VMWare
workstation (5.5) she could manually suspend the VM.  Now she is using the
player (I may reinstall the Workstation) and normally shutsdown MS-Windows
before suspending.  MS-Windows isn't open so often that this has been a
big issue.

A change to Xen is being evaluated.

Cheers,

Rob

--
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine..."
 	-- RFC 1925 "The Twelve Networking Truths"