interacting with wondows on a new laptop//endnote functionality

Matt Price matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 24 03:28:00 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-23-08 at 22:13 -0400, Robert Brockway wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Aug 2007, Matt Price wrote:
>
> > virtual machine inside linux, but this may be very processor-intensive,
>
> Hi Matt.  My wife runs Ubuntu on the desktop with MS-Windows running under
> VMWare.  A pretty common solution really.  The laptop has a dual core
> T2300 and 2GB of ram.  The VMWare session get a 256MB.  She has no
> performance problems at all.

may i ask what kind of vmware image you use -- a standard disk image, or
a real partition?  i understand the latter is possible, but i've not
heard directly from anyone who's actually accomplished it.

> > and also, i htink it's hard to suspend-to-disk and suspend-to-ram from
> > the host os when virtual os's are running.   I know that the ubuntu
>
> Yes this has proven to be something of a drag.  When she ran a full VMWare
> workstation (5.5) she could manually suspend the VM.  Now she is using the
> player (I may reinstall the Workstation) and normally shutsdown MS-Windows
> before suspending.  MS-Windows isn't open so often that this has been a
> big issue.

so sounds like workstation would be a good idea.  i'm not sure, but i
seem to remember that it's easier to run workstation in ubuntu than it
used to be.

> A change to Xen is being evaluated.

if you could let me know how that goes i'd be REALLY appreciative.
Thanks much,

matt

--
Matt Price