interacting with wondows on a new laptop//endnote functionality

Matt Price matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 24 03:25:49 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-23-08 at 21:57 -0400, Jamon Camisso wrote:
> Matt Price wrote:
> > hi folks,
> >
> > my girlfriend is buying a new laptop (thinkpad x61s, looks sweet) and is
> > ready to make the switch to linux.  However, she has one serious
> > requirement that makes it difficult to make the full switch.  She writes
> > in MS Word and uses endnote to manage her citations.  She has a
> > substantial endnote database which she needs to retain access to, and
> > she also uses endnote's in-paper citation facility  from inside word.
> > There don't really seem to be equivalents in openoffice for these
> > features; the bibliographic project is working on implementing some, but
> > that is at LEAST a year off; and as far as i can tell endnote doesn't
> > really run in WINE.
>
> I've run endnote 7 in wine, and it looks like 9.0 works fairly well too:
> http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=3894
>
> Not sure how Word would integrate with it though.

yeah, it seems like everyone has trouble with the cite-u-write
functionality, or whatever it's called.  this is the main thing that's
hard to replace; zotero does almost everything else already.  there's a
new zoteero-openoffice plugin that does some of that now, but as ODF
doesn't yet support bibliographic fields properly i can't imagine it
works very well at this stage.