Novell OpenOffice for other distros?

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 23 15:42:05 UTC 2007

James Knott wrote:
> Have you tried installing it?  the RPMs are availalble
Sigh, This just brings us back to my original question ... is anyone
here aware of efforts to repackage it for other distros?

Unfortunately, RPM != RPM. SuSE ones don' t generally work on Fedora,
whose RPMs don't work on Mandriva, etc. My past attempts to load one
distro's RPMs on another's system have tended to end in heartbreak.
Dependency renaming and all sorts of other problems.

In any case, I'm currently using .deb based distros.

> and if that fails, there's always the source.
For Linux to be considered at all as a mainstream alternative, this is
no longer an acceptable answer (if it ever was). Anyone capable of
actually executing this option is already aware its availability.

- Evan