OT - But Interesting - Wikipedia Sleuth

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 15 00:47:16 UTC 2007

John McGregor left a post-it on the fridge:

> Oh horror of horrors. Individuals and corporations are exercising their
> rights to make edits to Wikipedia and as a result it's not very factual
> anymore. Why is this author (and seemingly many others) so surprised?

Corporations have rights? That's news to me. They're not mentioned in any of
the great iterations of individual rights that I'm aware of. Anyway...

Doesn't sound like they're surprised at all. Sounds more like he's got kind of
a shit-eating grin, seeing that people who thought they would somehow be
'anonymous' in editing Wikipedia to fulfill some clearly conflicting corporate
interest (ie. profits) are finding out exactly the opposite. While I'm not
saying that anyone should be barred from editing Wikipedia, if they're going to
delete a bunch of embarassing information then that fact is certainly not going
to be allowed to remain hidden.

I can certainly sympathize with that feeling, hell everybody should on some
level these days. It's about time that corporate interests were subject to the
same issues regarding privacy and anonymity that individuals are, that is to
say, having none at all. It's hilarious to me that corporations have been
arguing before their golfing buddies on the courts that they have the same
rights as individuals, and at the same time argue that they should enjoy
greater rights to privacy and anonymity in their dealings than individuals
have.

> I've got to sat that opening an article with this line :" Golly, I would
> have expected that this sofware engineer/genius would have been black,
> that's what Hollywood and the Jews Media are always touting isn't it?"
> makes me think that the author may have an agenda that has skewed his
> thinking and his conclusions.

It looks to me like an attempt at some kind of ironic humour, though I really
don't get it. If that's not it, I have no idea what that little intro
represents. Weird.

--
JoeHill