Dell Inspiron 530 compatability questions before buying

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 11 19:42:22 UTC 2007

  Anybody have experience with this machine under linux?  Since my
1999 Dell lasted almost 8 years, I'm willing to pay a bit extra.  Oh
yeah, price reduced at dell.ca by $300, expires the 16th.  I'm not
looking at the low-end Celeron version, but the Pentium dual core
processor version.

  According to a response on the Gentoo list, the integrated "Graphics
Media Accelerator 3100" is well-supported.  I don't like the idea of
binary blobs for Nvidia that work with the current kernel, but break
when you update the kernel.  And as for ATI, fglrx has caused the only
hard lockups I have experienced in linux in the past couple of years.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
Q. Mr. Ghandi, what do you think of Microsoft security?