Dell Inspiron 530 compatability questions before buying

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 12 02:25:27 UTC 2007

On Sat, Aug 11, 2007 at 03:42:22PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
>   Anybody have experience with this machine under linux?  Since my
> 1999 Dell lasted almost 8 years, I'm willing to pay a bit extra.  Oh
> yeah, price reduced at dell.ca by $300, expires the 16th.  I'm not
> looking at the low-end Celeron version, but the Pentium dual core
> processor version.

Wow a Dell laptop that lasted 8 years?  From what I read a lot of the
Dell Inspiron laptops you are lucky if they stay working more than 6
months past the end of warrenty.  Nice class action suits taking place
against Dell as a result.

And you really don't want a Pentium anything.  You want a Core based
system instead.

Currently I am starting to think Asus will be my choice for laptop
vendor (they have been my choice of mainboard vendor for 15 years).

>   According to a response on the Gentoo list, the integrated "Graphics
> Media Accelerator 3100" is well-supported.  I don't like the idea of
> binary blobs for Nvidia that work with the current kernel, but break
> when you update the kernel.  And as for ATI, fglrx has caused the only
> hard lockups I have experienced in linux in the past couple of years.

Well if you don't care about 3D, nvidia's work fine with the nv driver.
The intel works fine too, but I have no idea if the 3100 has any 3D
support yet (some of the older ones certainly do, although fast they
aren't).  I won't touch ATI's mobile chips either.  Too many driver
lockups.

--
Len Sorensen