LCD monitors

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 9 16:09:13 UTC 2007

Giles Orr wrote:
>> Great!
>> Do you have the name of the shop, and/or the nearest intersection?
>> I checked it out at tigerdirect.ca and it is about 270$.
>
> http://www.filtechcomputer.com/
>
> Filtech is on the east side of Spadina just south of College.  Their
> website is fairly poor.  I went there partly because they have a
> better reputation among geeks than any other store on the College
> strip.  But you might want to call: they pulled down what appeared to
> be the last one in the store for me.  That was a week ago though.
>
>> While you are at it, any recommendation for a good mobo doing RAID1 (and
>> Linux -should I mention that?)?
>
> Sorry, can't help at all on that one.  I haven't bought a new computer
> in four years!

It's pretty easy to use softraid with any 2 or more hard drives to
create a RAID(0,1,5...) array, and cheaper than buying a motherboard
with a hardware raid controller. Most desktop mobos come with raid
support, but that's done through the bios and software, so you're better
off disabling that and using Linux to build and manage your array(s).

There are some common ~$100 boards that come with 6-8 SATA ports, and
1-2 IDE, so you could build a pretty nifty storage array for yourself
with a few $110 500GB drives ;)

Jamon