Linux -> Mac?

Michael MacLeod mikemacleod-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 24 23:47:18 UTC 2007

I used linux exclusively in high school and into university, but at a
certain point I wanted to do something other than tweak my laptop and
desktop systems. I got a powerbook, which came complete with a bash shell
and unix underpinnings, and a fantastic user interface.

I run linux on my servers, bsd on the firewall/router, and on the media pc
(mythtv is awsome). But for a system that I use to check email, surf the
web, and other regular activities, the mac is what I use. None of the linux
machines have a monitor attached, and all my administration is done through
Terminal on the mac and ssh.

So, after using them both I still use them both, just each in their
respective niche. I've heard good things about beryl and xgl, but for all
that hassle, I could spend that time doing something more productive.

That said, I'm very thankful for the time I spent playing around with linux
(especially slackware) for teaching me valuable skills that serve me well on
a daily basis, both working on the linux servers I continue to run and when
working on the mac. I routinely pop about the filesystem on the mac in
terminal, and have more than once used my knowledge of unix in general to
help diagnose a sick mac. Knowing that you can use dd to diagnose a bad hard
disk saved my friend from having to buy a whole new powerbook, just replaced
the drive and reinstalled.