Linux -> Mac?

Ivan Avery Frey ivan.frey-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 24 15:24:11 UTC 2007

William Park wrote:
> Just a question for those of you with Mac...
>
> - Why do you (supposedly Linux guys) have Mac?
> - How does Mac help you in a way that Linux doesn't?
> - Do you use Mac for your Linux/Unix related tasks?
> - After using them both, have you given up on Mac?  Or, Linux?
>
> In other word, convince me to buy a Mac for myself, and not just as
> present. :-)

Hmmmmm, I could write a book on this. I bought my PowerBook 2 years ago
with the expectation of running Linux on it.

I never got around to it.

Mac OS X IS a unix operating system. I think more Linux related stuff
has been ported to OS X than to Windows.

The printing subsystem on Mac is CUPS. The Terminal application uses
Bash as its shell.

One caveat, I had to upgrade to Tiger to take advantage of some of
plugins for Eclipse. Tiger now comes with all the new Apple systems.

My PowerBook is amazingly quiet for the most part, (yeah accessing the
DVD drive is really noisy.)

One can boot the PowerBook and most Apple systems I believe in Firewire
target mode. It basically turns the system into an external hard disk
which can be hot mounted on another system (useful if you need to access
the data and the drive won't boot). If you need to disable this feature
you can use Open Firmware Password Protection.

For more info check out Apple's site and click on Mac OS X.

Take care,
Ivan.