semi-OT: portable backup drive

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 23 16:33:37 UTC 2007

On 4/23/07, Matt Price <matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> hi olks,
>
> i'm heading out of town for an extended trip (most of a year) and won'th
> ave access to my desktop, which is what i usually use for backups and
> storage.  i'm looking for a backup hard drive that i can take with me on
> that trip -- something pretty substantial so that i can take all
> mybacked-up dvd's with me, as well as some audio projects i'm working
> on.  can anyone recommend a good deal in this domain?  it would be nice
> if the enclosure weren't too huge; otherwise i'm not really decided on
> what i want.  in 3.5" drives, 500gb seems to be a pretty decent price
> point at the moment, but i could go smaller or larger if the best deal
> is to be found in either of those directions.

My chorus (northernlightschorus.com) bought a LaCie 250G external
drive some time ago. With a USB2 connection, it's very fast, and 250G
is plenty, even for a three hour session using a dozen mics, recording
at 160kHz. At the time (perhaps 2 years ago) it was about a dollar a
gigabyte -- http://www.lacie.com/products/range.htm?id=10036 has some
examples for you. And Carbon Computing --
http://www.carbonation.com/sales/index.html -- sells the units
locally.

--
Alex Beamish