semi-OT: portable backup drive

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 23 15:36:07 UTC 2007

On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 11:26:53AM -0400, Matt Price wrote:
> i'm heading out of town for an extended trip (most of a year) and won'th
> ave access to my desktop, which is what i usually use for backups and
> storage.  i'm looking for a backup hard drive that i can take with me on
> that trip -- something pretty substantial so that i can take all
> mybacked-up dvd's with me, as well as some audio projects i'm working
> on.  can anyone recommend a good deal in this domain?  it would be nice
> if the enclosure weren't too huge; otherwise i'm not really decided on
> what i want.  in 3.5" drives, 500gb seems to be a pretty decent price
> point at the moment, but i could go smaller or larger if the best deal
> is to be found in either of those directions.

Well you could get something like a Vantec NexStar3 NST-360SU (My wife
has a 260 (2.5" laptop drive one) and it just works).  The 360SU does
eSATA and USB2.0 for a 3.5" SATA drive and of course has an external
power supply (always needed for 3.5" drives).  Vantec seems to know how
to do external drives that work.  Then just buy whichever SATA drive you
like (320GB or 500GB WD should be decent) and put it in.

--
Len Sorensen