semi-OT: portable backup drive

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 23 17:02:10 UTC 2007

Alex Beamish wrote:
> On 4/23/07, Matt Price <matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> hi olks,
>>
>> i'm heading out of town for an extended trip (most of a year) and won'th
>> ave access to my desktop, which is what i usually use for backups and
>> storage.  i'm looking for a backup hard drive that i can take with me on
>> that trip -- something pretty substantial so that i can take all
>> mybacked-up dvd's with me, as well as some audio projects i'm working
>> on.  can anyone recommend a good deal in this domain?  it would be nice
>> if the enclosure weren't too huge; otherwise i'm not really decided on
>> what i want.  in 3.5" drives, 500gb seems to be a pretty decent price
>> point at the moment, but i could go smaller or larger if the best deal
>> is to be found in either of those directions.
>
> My chorus (northernlightschorus.com) bought a LaCie 250G external
> drive some time ago. With a USB2 connection, it's very fast, and 250G
> is plenty, even for a three hour session using a dozen mics, recording
> at 160kHz. At the time (perhaps 2 years ago) it was about a dollar a
> gigabyte -- http://www.lacie.com/products/range.htm?id=10036 has some
> examples for you. And Carbon Computing --
> http://www.carbonation.com/sales/index.html -- sells the units
> locally.

I find that, for all LaCie's posturing as a Porsche affiliated or
whatever it is design, their power input and cord are horrible (likely
because they use the same Delta electronics stuff that everyone else does).

Vantec are far cheaper than any LaCie, and you get to use whatever drive
you like, now, and in the future. I haven't attempted to dissassemble a
LaCie, but I'd imagine it would void the warranty on the unit and the
drive. Plus with all their industrial Porsche design, I'm sure taking
one apart is a non-trivial task.

Jamon