Life on the bleeding edge

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 29 03:05:13 UTC 2006

On 9/28/06, JoeHill <joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 26 Sep 2006 20:51:32 -0400
> Tim Writer got an infinite number of monkeys to type out:
>
> > For a notebook/desktop user coming from Windows, a single large partition is
> > probably easier to understand.
>
> Without a /home partition, wouldn't they be kinda lost? ie., they would have
> no place to keep their personal files?
>
> I'm only asking because of the three distros I've tried, only Debian did not
> create a /home dir by default, IIRC.

The last Debian box I built certainly did do so.

The thing that happens with Debian is that when you run the
partitioning tool, you can choose to set up as many partitions as you
like, where there are some defaults offered for each one as you go
along.

According to the ordering it set up, the selection was:
/
/usr
/var
/tmp
/home

That seems familiar; start with /, which is mandatory, and then offer
others, as long as there are useful default values left to offer.

If you stopped after making 2 partitions, you wouldn't get to the
/home "option."  That doesn't mean it wasn't there...
Oddly enough, this is completely standard behaviour for shells. This
is a roundabout way of saying `don't use combined chains of `&&'s and
`||'s unless you think Gödel's theorem is for sissies'.