Life on the bleeding edge

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 30 17:20:27 UTC 2006

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 14:09:18 -0400
JoeHill <joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On 26 Sep 2006 20:51:32 -0400
> Tim Writer got an infinite number of monkeys to type out:
>
> > For a notebook/desktop user coming from Windows, a single large partition is
> > probably easier to understand.
>
> Without a /home partition, wouldn't they be kinda lost? ie., they would have
> no place to keep their personal files?
>
> I'm only asking because of the three distros I've tried, only Debian did not
> create a /home dir by default, IIRC.

Joe,

   I did not set up a /home partition on my laptop.  If someone steals it, I want to maximize the difficulties of getting it to do anything, much less provide access to all my files.  With a little luck, the Red Hat sticker will get the point across, ahead of time.

   If the thief can get into the BIOS and make it boot from install media, they are going to have to blow away my root partition, and any personal information I chose to leave on it.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
howardg-PadmjKOQAFn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org