Problems with Kubuntu Edgy and SMB mounting

Jason.Shein-V7Ve2fXh0sTQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org Jason.Shein-V7Ve2fXh0sTQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 27 17:04:00 UTC 2006

The following entry in /etc/fstab works for me on Dapper

users,auto,username=<username>,credentials=/home/<username>/.credentials,uid=1000,gid=1000
0 0

and the .credentials file contains the following, and must be chmod 600

username=<username>
password=<password>

Jason Shein
Network Administrator – Linux Systems
Iovate Health Sciences Inc.
5100 Spectrum Way
Mississauga, ON L4W 5S2
( 905 ) - 678 - 3119   x 3136
1 - 888 - 334 - 4448,    x 3136 (toll-free)
jason.shein at iovate.com

Customer Service. Collaboration. Innovation. Efficiency.
Iovate's Information Technology Team

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
THIS ELECTRONIC MAIL TRANSMISSION IS PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL AND IS
INTENDED ONLY FOR THE REVIEW OF THE PARTY TO WHOM IT IS ADDRESSED.
THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS E-MAIL IS CONFIDENTIAL AND IS DISCLOSED
TO YOU UNDER THE EXPRESS UNDERSTANDING THAT YOU WILL NOT DISCLOSE IT
OR ITS CONTENTS TO ANY THIRD PARTY WITHOUT THE EXPRESS WRITTEN CONSENT
OF AN AUTHORIZED OFFICER OF IOVATE HEALTH SCIENCES SERVICES INC. IF YOU
HAVE
RECEIVED THIS TRANSMISSION IN ERROR, PLEASE IMMEDIATELY RETURN IT TO THE
SENDER.

Evan Leibovitch <evan at telly.org>
Sent by: owner-tlug at ss.org
09/27/2006 12:42 PM
Please respond to
tlug at ss.org

tlug at ss.org
cc

Subject
[TLUG]: Problems with Kubuntu Edgy and SMB mounting

Well, the weekend install went surprisingly easily (for a distro I'd
never really used much before) and I'm extremely happy with the result.
There are just a couple of niggling things that I thought I'd ask about
here before raising them as probloems or bugs. Some of these are as
likely problems with my setup as bugs in Edgy. Reporting stuff is also
better accepted is a solution can be offered :-).

1) The tiny icon for Thunderbird (the one that apprears on the KDE panel
when it' s running, and shows in the upper left corner of the window
running it) seems to be missing. The generic "X" shows isntead. This is
wierd, because its KDE menu icon is fine, and the " compose mail"
window open while I write this has a proper icon.

2) Also in Thunderbird. When I click on a URL in my mail it opens
Konqueror rather than Firefox. I think I've looked everywhere to see
where the association is made but obviously I' ve missed something.

3) I continue to have problems browsing and mounting Samba shares on a
local server.

Thsi line in /etc/fstab is
//MYHOST/share    /home/myhost-share        smbfs
username=evan,password=mypass,owner,user  0       0

It mounts fine at bootup, and `df`  shows
//MYHOST/share on /home/myhost-share type smbfs (rw)

Reading is no problem; writing requires root. Is this an etch problem or
am I doing something wrong?  Under Mandriva, if I unmounted the shares
as root and remounted them as non-root, I could write to them, which
makes me think the problem is my config rather than Edgy.

3a) Not a single tool that I tried could properly browse the network and
find the shares. What is the best tool in (K)ubuntu for browsing
available shares and printers in an SMB network? (Of course, my lone
Windows box on the network sees the server without a hitch).

As always, any help is appreciated. Thanks!

- Evan