Problems with Kubuntu Edgy and SMB mounting

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 27 16:42:39 UTC 2006

Well, the weekend install went surprisingly easily (for a distro I'd
never really used much before) and I'm extremely happy with the result.
There are just a couple of niggling things that I thought I'd ask about
here before raising them as probloems or bugs. Some of these are as
likely problems with my setup as bugs in Edgy. Reporting stuff is also
better accepted is a solution can be offered :-).

1) The tiny icon for Thunderbird (the one that apprears on the KDE panel
when it' s running, and shows in the upper left corner of the window
running it) seems to be missing. The generic "X" shows isntead. This is
wierd, because its KDE menu icon is fine, and the " compose mail"
window open while I write this has a proper icon.

2) Also in Thunderbird. When I click on a URL in my mail it opens
Konqueror rather than Firefox. I think I've looked everywhere to see
where the association is made but obviously I' ve missed something.

3) I continue to have problems browsing and mounting Samba shares on a
local server.

Thsi line in /etc/fstab is
//MYHOST/share    /home/myhost-share        smbfs
username=evan,password=mypass,owner,user  0       0

It mounts fine at bootup, and `df`  shows
//MYHOST/share on /home/myhost-share type smbfs (rw)

Reading is no problem; writing requires root. Is this an etch problem or
am I doing something wrong?  Under Mandriva, if I unmounted the shares
as root and remounted them as non-root, I could write to them, which
makes me think the problem is my config rather than Edgy.

3a) Not a single tool that I tried could properly browse the network and
find the shares. What is the best tool in (K)ubuntu for browsing
available shares and printers in an SMB network? (Of course, my lone
Windows box on the network sees the server without a hitch).

As always, any help is appreciated. Thanks!

- Evan