Life on the bleeding edge

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 26 14:35:54 UTC 2006

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 10:23:14PM -0400, Simon wrote:
> I personally find that there are a lot of things I wouldn't have got working
> on Gentoo if I hadn't been sure I could do them from having seen them work
> on Ubuntu.  It is impossible to say one is better than the other.  Both have
> problem areas as well as strengths.  Not to bash Gentoo, but portage is
> unacceptably slow.  I'm talking about everything except building from source
> here, it shouldn't take 20 mins to do what apt-get update does in 30 secs,
> likewise for emerge -S vs apt-cache search or whatever ( I use synaptic
> mostly ).  Also, Ubuntu doesn't have to be blown away for updates, you can
> dist-upgrade between releases. But, I'm typing this from Gentoo, so don't
> take it the wrong way.  I use Gentoo for its flexibility, basically.  And I
> can write ebuilds, but haven't learned how to make debian packages yet.

Very few distributions have to be blown away to upgrade (and hence the
whole need for seperate partitions for everything makes no sense either
anymore).  I don't even think slackware requires a reinstall of / for
every upgrade anymore, although I don't know that for sure.

The build everything from source is just a complete absolute waste of
time with no gain whatsoever.  Waste of time, cpu cycles, electricity
and network bandwidth.

For making debian packages, look at cdbs, or if you want something less
simple, hello-dbs.

--
Len Sorensen