Life on the bleeding edge

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 26 15:05:34 UTC 2006

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> Very few distributions have to be blown away to upgrade
Some are better at this than others. Mandriva is notorious for not
having easy upgrade procedures, making a re-install less pain than an
upgrade. I sure hope they've fixed that.

The dependency facilities of modem package managers should make this
easy. Ultimately there should be a single rpm or deb pseudo-package that
includes no files of its own, just sufficient dependency requirements
that having it installed means you're at (or beyond) a certain release
level.
> (and hence the whole need for seperate partitions for everything makes no sense either anymore).
There are useful reasons for making /tmp or /var separate partitions
regardless of upgrade
> The build everything from source is just a complete absolute waste of time with no gain whatsoever.  Waste of time, cpu cycles, electricity and network bandwidth.

I think the Gentoo community might beg to differ.

- Evan