Life on the bleeding edge

Simon simon80-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 26 02:23:14 UTC 2006

I personally find that there are a lot of things I wouldn't have got working
on Gentoo if I hadn't been sure I could do them from having seen them work
on Ubuntu.  It is impossible to say one is better than the other.  Both have
problem areas as well as strengths.  Not to bash Gentoo, but portage is
unacceptably slow.  I'm talking about everything except building from source
here, it shouldn't take 20 mins to do what apt-get update does in 30 secs,
likewise for emerge -S vs apt-cache search or whatever ( I use synaptic
mostly ).  Also, Ubuntu doesn't have to be blown away for updates, you can
dist-upgrade between releases. But, I'm typing this from Gentoo, so don't
take it the wrong way.  I use Gentoo for its flexibility, basically.  And I
can write ebuilds, but haven't learned how to make debian packages yet.