off topicthe home of tomorrow?

ted leslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 7 02:30:51 UTC 2006

I think its the opposite.
What a house 10-20 years from now will have is
a bunch of 1920x1080p TV's with 50MB compressed streaming zipping across
the house to and from a central media center, or multiple ones.
Anything other then this heavy bandwidth media will probably be file
transfers that can happen at any speed, the more money you spend the
faster it will transfer, i.e. copy a DVD from one computer in the house
to another. The absolute demand, at peak, will be a few 50MB HD video
feeds and maybe some blue-ray copying, etc. For this you should have
gigabit copper (or fiber). I can't see wireless gigabit being all that
affordable even 10 years from now.
You can't lose decking out gigabit copper, not to mention they will
probably have technology that will do 2+GBit over it (if its quality
stuff), if they don't already.
I've always found wireless to be a waste of time except for the pure
portability factor (i.e. pda, wifi phone), otherwise they keep pushing
the nic cards in computer, and that is always far above wireless speeds.
They have gigahz phones, but of course thats not the data rate but the
carrier frequency ... so having said that, a gigabit copper network has
the same data throughput as the frequency that the phone is on, so it
boggles my mind as to how you would transmit multi-gigabit wireless,
its been a while since I was in physics class in school, but isn't that
microwave spectrum -  a carrier to send gigabits of data? And they will
still be discussing, 20 years from now, if a cell phone causes nogg'n
cancer, so you gotta figure wired will always have its place. Who knows,
maybe network boots will be the thing, and you'll have to download 2GB
of data from the home "file repo" upon booting up your computer, what a
thought. I'd bet on gigabit wired (or larger wired) home networks all
the way for at least another 20-40 years. Look at the CELL puter model
too, linking your Sony  PS3, fridge, microwave, TV, etc together via
fiber optics and having SMP type intercommunication with extremely small
latency - again points to a wired future. I can see  smart wired houses,
with gigabit communication ports on wall jacks and floor panels, with
perhaps 50-100 ports spread all over the house, with maybe at least one
or two  on ever wall of almost every room in the house, which then would
make it likely to be shared with a 120v outlet, as far as the jack lay
out, but you wouldnt try to carry gigabit on the actual 110v copper, but
the electrician could at least route them together. Given that most
devices that would use the communication, would also use 120v plugs,
that makes the whole set up rather convenient and logical. The more i
think about it, Sony/IBM/Toshiba's Cell processor "plan", probably
doesn't include wireless due to how tightly coupled the Cell processors
are to be. I'd say bet against wireless, at least if your going to be a
power-user-home.

-tl