off topicthe home of tomorrow?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 7 11:49:32 UTC 2006

ted leslie wrote:
> boggles my mind as to how you would transmit multi-gigabit wireless,
> its been a while since I was in physics class in school, but isn't that
> microwave spectrum -  a carrier to send gigabits of data? And they will
> still be discussing, 20 years from now, if a cell phone causes nogg'n
> cancer, so you gotta figure wired will always have its place. Who knows,

"Microwave" is an arbitrary term, signifying radio frequencies above 1
GHz.  This spectrum includes the "PCS" cell phone band, WiFi, many
cordless phones etc.  Microwaves have not been demonstrated to cause
cancer, as they are not ionizing radiation.  Ionizing radiation, such as
the upper ultraviolet frequencies, X-rays etc., does cause cancer.
However, excessive levels of microwave energy can cause other problems,
due to heating effects.