Gnome issue

Kihara Muriithi william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 5 15:48:15 UTC 2006

Hi all

A couple of hours ago, I installed Oracle 10g on a RHE3, following
documentation to the letter. After installation, all was well untill I
logged out. Then logging in as user oracle fails. Xfree86 works well, but
gnome fails, leaving me with a dark desktop and a pop up with the
error message below

"your session only lasted less than 10  seconds. If you have not logged out
yourself, this could mean that there is installation problem or that you may
be out of diskspace." When I click okay, I  am kicked out of the login
session.

I log in as another user and these are some of the information that I dug
out that I assume may be helpful.

(nautilus:7307): Eel-WARNING **: GConf error:
  Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you
need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due
to a system crash. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ for information.
(Details -  1: IOR file '/home/oracle/.gconfd/lock/ior' not opened
successfully, no gconfd located: No such file or directory 2: IOR file
'/home/oracle/.gconfd/lock/ior' not opened successfully, no gconfd located:
No such file or directory)

[root at theonion root]# ls -ld /home/oracle/
drwxrwxrwx   18 oracle   oinstall     4096 Sep  5 17:22 /home/oracle/
[root at theonion root]# df /home/oracle/
/dev/hda2             36859304   6736952  28249980  20% /

What could be the issue? I am sure its related to oracle installation as it
affect only one user and it started after installing the said application.
Is there anybody who has seen this problem in the past? Is there a way of
starting oracle without logging in as user oracle?

Thanks in advance

William