Gnome issue

John Van Ostrand john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 5 17:35:06 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-05 at 18:48 +0300, Kihara Muriithi wrote:
> A couple of hours ago, I installed Oracle 10g on a RHE3, following
> documentation to the letter. After installation, all was well untill I
> logged out. Then logging in as user oracle fails. Xfree86 works well,
> but gnome fails, leaving me with a dark desktop and a pop up with the
> error message below
>
> "your session only lasted less than 10  seconds. If you have not
> logged out yourself, this could mean that there is installation
> problem or that you may be out of diskspace." When I click okay, I  am
> kicked out of the login session.

Check the ~/.profile or ~/.bash_profile of the user that you tried to
login as. Make sure that the user's shell is a standard Linux shell
(/bin/bash usually) and that it results in a command prompt.

> I log in as another user and these are some of the information that I
> dug out that I assume may be helpful.
>
> (nautilus:7307): Eel-WARNING **: GConf error:
>   Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are
> that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale
> NFS locks due to a system crash. See
> http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ for information. (Details -  1:
> IOR file '/home/oracle/.gconfd/lock/ior' not opened successfully, no
> gconfd located: No such file or directory 2: IOR file
> '/home/oracle/.gconfd/lock/ior' not opened successfully, no gconfd
> located: No such file or directory)
>

> [root at theonion root]# ls -ld /home/oracle/
> drwxrwxrwx   18 oracle   oinstall     4096 Sep  5 17:22 /home/oracle/
> [root at theonion root]# df /home/oracle/
> Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/hda2             36859304   6736952  28249980  20% /
>
> What could be the issue? I am sure its related to oracle installation
> as it affect only one user and it started after installing the said
> application. Is there anybody who has seen this problem in the past?
> Is there a way of starting oracle without logging in as user oracle?

Use the "switch user" command:  "su - oracle" if that gives you a
problem try "su oracle".

You could also try to login to a text console (press Ctrl-Alt-F1) as
oracle.

--
John Van Ostrand
         Net Direct Inc.