Inquiry about FREE mailing lists

James McIntosh jemcinto-cpI+UMyWUv+w5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 2 12:44:52 UTC 2006

At 04:36 PM 2006/09/01 -0400, Paul King <sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org> wrote:

>Hello

>I just wanted to run this past some people. I am planning to
>maintain a mailing list for a group of people, and I was wondering
>if there are any trustworthy providers of this service.

(snip)

>www.coolist.com
>    I created a list and added some "test users" (my alternate email
>    addresses), but the users could not verify themselves. The link to
>    verify the subscription was to a server called "28.nu". The "nu"
>    country code belongs to a Pacific Island called Niue, about 2000 km
>    northeast of Welland, New Zealand. I think it is a dead server, and
>    no one is taking care of it.  Emails to tech support bounced. Nice
>    interface, though. Configurable in all the important ways.

I was in a Scarborough-based group which tried Coollist a few years ago.

Their Web site mentioned that the way that they stay in business is by
selling subscribers' names, e-mail addresses and personal statistics to
bulk e-mailers, the people who send out "spam".

They had some technical problems, such as sending out an e-mail message up
to 5 (five !) times, each time with a different date/timestamp. This
intensified a "flame war".

Actually, I'd really strongly advise that no one consider them unless
necessary.

Jim McIntosh   <jemcinto-cpI+UMyWUv+w5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org>