Rogers and BitTorrent: another datapoint

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 26 14:02:45 UTC 2006

On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 02:52:06AM -0400, JoeHill wrote:
> I strongly suspect that some ISP's throttle bittorrent traffic. I experienced
> an inexplicable drop in bittorrent d/l speeds, I could not download anything
> faster than 5 or 6 KB/s. I found out on the Azureus forums that a lot of people
> were experiencing this. When I followed the instructions, and enabled strong
> encryption, all of a sudden speed shop right back up.

Bittorrent does encryption?  How did you do that and is that part of the
protocol (I have never really looked into how bittorrent's protocol
works at a low level, only the concept level).

> Well 'shot' isn't a good word for the speeds I get w/ Symcraptico, but
> anyway ;)
>
> It adds just little bit more CPU usage to an already somewhat resource-hungry
> Java app, but hey, I can still play Urban Terror while it's running in the
> systray, so it's okay with me :)

Hmm, I just use bittornado, which doesn't seem to hard on my 700mhz cpu.
I do stop it while playing NWN though.

--
Len Sorensen