Rogers and BitTorrent: another datapoint

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Thu Oct 26 06:52:06 UTC 2006

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 02:25:02 -0400 (EDT)
D. Hugh Redelmeier got an infinite number of monkeys to type out:

> I don't know what to do about Rogers and Bit Torrent.  They advertised a
> faster connection if I paid $100 for the modem.  But when it matters, it
> is actually slower.  Much slower.  I wonder if there is a lawsuit waiting
> to happen.

I strongly suspect that some ISP's throttle bittorrent traffic. I experienced
an inexplicable drop in bittorrent d/l speeds, I could not download anything
faster than 5 or 6 KB/s. I found out on the Azureus forums that a lot of people
were experiencing this. When I followed the instructions, and enabled strong
encryption, all of a sudden speed shop right back up.

Well 'shot' isn't a good word for the speeds I get w/ Symcraptico, but
anyway ;)

It adds just little bit more CPU usage to an already somewhat resource-hungry
Java app, but hey, I can still play Urban Terror while it's running in the
systray, so it's okay with me :)

--
JoeHill / RLU #282046