MythTV install workshop?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 24 21:45:04 UTC 2006

On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 04:55:54PM -0400, CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
> Thank you for the enlightenment. I had no idea that most of the
> channels used some form of DRM. Is this the case with satellite TV
> too?
>
> I was told recently by a Rogers customer service rep was pushing me
> towards digital cable that all their customers will be forced to
> migrate to digital cable in early 2007 when I called in to complain
> about poor picture quality on my analog cable service. I asked her
> about options for recording one or two channels while watching
> another and she said that the way to do it was with one of their
> recorders. When I told her that I would just build my own, she
> responded "That would be illegal." At the time, I recall scoffing at
> the idea. Now that you've mentioned that most of the channels are
> encrypted and that they presumably won't give the keys to people who
> pay for the service but want to use some other hardware to connect,
> what she was saying makes sense.

I guess making VCRs and such obsolete doesn't matter to rogers at all.
Of course being able to charge rental fees for cable boxes for every TV
you have would just make rogers amazingly happy.  Might as well get rid
of the one selling point they have over all their competitors: cable
works with existing hardware unlike satelite and digital cable and
whatever else exists.

Of course the content makers apparently won't be happy until they
control when and who we watch things and make sure they can force us
to watch all the commercials.  Given how many radio and tv stations
rogers owns, I think they may have a major conflict of interest.
Perhaps cable/satelite providers shouldn't be allowed to own the content
makers.

--
Len Sorensen