MythTV install workshop?

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 24 20:55:54 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 24 October 2006 13:30, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 12:45:27PM -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:
> > Just curious but Rogers digital uses ( or used to ) a proprietary
> > format.
> >
> > Is this still true ?
>
> No, it is not proprietary.  People have managed to use a digital
> compatible card to receive digital channels on rogers, but there
> are not very many of the channels that are not encrypted.  To
> decrypt them you need the decryption keys, and of course rogers
> isn't giving you those. That is essentially what cablecard was
> supposed to make possible, not that rogers ever had any intension
> of supporting those.  The card can basically receive whatever an
> unregistered digital cable box can receive on basic cable from
> rogers, which I believe is the timeshift channels for canada, and a
> few other things, but not that much.  The music stations work too
> apparently.
>
> I believe the format is called QAM or something like that.

Thank you for the enlightenment. I had no idea that most of the
channels used some form of DRM. Is this the case with satellite TV
too?

I was told recently by a Rogers customer service rep was pushing me
towards digital cable that all their customers will be forced to
migrate to digital cable in early 2007 when I called in to complain
about poor picture quality on my analog cable service. I asked her
about options for recording one or two channels while watching
another and she said that the way to do it was with one of their
recorders. When I told her that I would just build my own, she
responded "That would be illegal." At the time, I recall scoffing at
the idea. Now that you've mentioned that most of the channels are
encrypted and that they presumably won't give the keys to people who
pay for the service but want to use some other hardware to connect,
what she was saying makes sense.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay