MythTV install workshop?

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Oct 24 18:03:15 UTC 2006

--- David J Patrick <davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org>
wrote:
> On 24/10/06, Colin McGregor <colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
> > Question,
> >
> > Would there be any interest in doing some sort of
> > MythTV install workshop?
> I can tell you with certainty, that linux PVRs (and
> specifically
> MythTV) is a hot topic.
> I know that several regulars have expressed
> interest/ frustrations/
> desire to give such a workshop.
> > My idea is we could get
> > together at some location and do a hands on look
> at
> > building a dedicated MythTV box.
> hmmm.. but WHERE ?
> ;-)

That depends. If it looks like we will have say 5
interested people then a small place like say
Linuxcaffe could be very good :-) . On the other hand
if it looks like we will have say 50 people we would
need another venue :-( .

> > My not-so-hidden agenda being that I am writing an
> > article on KnoppMyth, which makes the
> set-up/install
> > of a dedicated MythTV box fairly painless. In
> other
> > words I am looking for some test subjects to see
> if I
> > can beak this down to a new user level... Basic
> idea
> > would be, bring in a PC and get help turning it
> into a
> > MythTV box...
> Sound great, and I'd like to videotape it, edit it,
> and podcast it.
>
> when ?

Well, lets start by looking at some options. Since we
are talking about people hauling PC(s) to a location I
would suggest a Saturday or Sunday (hauling a PC on
TTC is at the best of times a PAIN made worse during
rush hour, and this is what some folks would be
doing...). Further by using a weekend morning we can
get out of being worried about running 1-2 hours late
the way we would on a weekday. Is Nov. 4/5 an option
at the cafe, and if so which day is quieter?

Next question, how many people would want to be
involved in this? You would be looking at coming in
with a PC with these sorts of specs (or better):

- PIII 750 MHz (better recomended)
- 256 MB RAM (more recomended)
- 80 GB hard drive (can be done with 2 x 40 GB drives
but MUCH more is recomended)
- 1 or more Linux support TV tuner cards (ideally the
ones supported under the ivtv drivers see:
http://ivtvdriver.org/index.php/Main_Page)
- Video card (ideally one that can do mpeg decoding,
such as a Hauppage PVR-350 or the nVidia 5200 (or
better) video cards)

Colin.