Sickening shilling for MS by Ontario privacy commissioner

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 21 22:16:36 UTC 2006

On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 03:52:03PM -0400, CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote

> I agree. Even if this was a Microsoft specific technology, which it
> isn't, Microsoft employs some of the most notable computer scientists
> on the planet so they are bound to have a few good ideas now and
> then.

  If MS employs such brilliant people, then why can't an out-of-the-box
MS Windows system be connected to a broadband modem without a firewall
and be safe?  For those who ask, that's *EXACTLY* how a Gentoo install
works.  The basic ISO contains a basic system that connectes to the net
and installs the real Gentoo.  Then it chroots into the real Gentoo.
And I do some more work and reboot.  Some time later, I eventually get
around to installing and enabling iptables.  I have never been
compromised, not even when running without iptables during the install
phase.

  Please explain to me what's so damn brilliant about ports 135, 137,
138, 139, and 445 listening to the net by default.  And what's so
brilliant about a web browser that allows drive-by-downloads?  Hiring a
"brilliant researcher" to "produce a white paper" is irrelavant.  Screw
the "white paper", make Windows secure, dammit.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
My musings on technology and security at http://techsec.blog.ca