mythtv channel tuning on vdsl bell expressvu for condos

john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 21 19:02:00 UTC 2006

I think the trick is to leave the hauppage set to chan 13 and use a custom built  infrared controller for the decoder box. I don't use satallite. But I know there are plans for building an inbfrared remote for Myth or they can be purchased.

Try the mythtv howtos and forums for that.

-----Original Message-----
From: Teddy David Mills <teddymills at knet.ca>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 13:33:22
To:tlug at ss.org
Subject: [TLUG]: mythtv channel tuning on vdsl bell expressvu for condos

MythTV is all working, but will only record the default tv channel.
Expressvu for condos by default uses channel 3,8 and 13.
I set the PVR-250 to record off channel 13.

Thus if I want mythtv to record something, I have to change my TV to
channel 13,
and then do a MANUAL RECORD of channel 13. This is not using the power of
MythTV's Program Guide and Program Finder.

I cannot use the Program Guide or Program Finder in MythTV. Why is that,
you ask?
Because the Hauppage PVR-250 does not know how to switch channels on its
own.
This is strange because I can switch them using the Hauppage PVR-250
remote when watching TV on MythTV.
(so I think it is 99% correct)

If only I were using Rogers, the channel tuning would be working! (dont
need anything special to switch Rogers channels)
However I am using Bell ExpressVu for Condos.  (which btw has excellent
picture quality)

The only way to change channels anywhere on anything is by using the
Bell supplied
NEXTLEVEL COMMUNICATIONS remotes.

I am using a Hauppage PVR-250, so the tuner on that I believe has no
idea how to change channels.
Even though all the channels are listed in MythTV. I believe all the
channels are listing okay, is because
of the zap2it is providing all the channel data.

The crux is how to tell the Hauppage PVR-250 how to change channels.
If I leave the channel on the default channel 13, then it records the
program no problem at all.
(sounds and everything works great)

There are a couple of things I could try.
1) the LIRC again?
2) reprogram a NEXTLEVEL remote and try to get the PVR-250 to change the
channel.
3) move some of those weird bunny ear antennas on the coax cable that
the NEXTLEVEL remotes  can  "talk to"

Why am I rambling this like? I have no idea. lack of sleep  :)
anyone that has mythtv experience, let me know.

btw I am recording all the installation of the KnoppMyth right from the
hardware on the ground to the working KnoppMyth.
I am using a digital camera.