mythtv channel tuning on vdsl bell expressvu for condos

Teddy David Mills teddymills-VFlxZYho3OA at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 21 17:33:22 UTC 2006

MythTV is all working, but will only record the default tv channel.
Expressvu for condos by default uses channel 3,8 and 13.
I set the PVR-250 to record off channel 13.

Thus if I want mythtv to record something, I have to change my TV to
channel 13,
and then do a MANUAL RECORD of channel 13. This is not using the power of
MythTV's Program Guide and Program Finder.

I cannot use the Program Guide or Program Finder in MythTV. Why is that,
you ask?
Because the Hauppage PVR-250 does not know how to switch channels on its
own.
This is strange because I can switch them using the Hauppage PVR-250
remote when watching TV on MythTV.
(so I think it is 99% correct)

If only I were using Rogers, the channel tuning would be working! (dont
need anything special to switch Rogers channels)
However I am using Bell ExpressVu for Condos.  (which btw has excellent
picture quality)

The only way to change channels anywhere on anything is by using the
Bell supplied
NEXTLEVEL COMMUNICATIONS remotes.

I am using a Hauppage PVR-250, so the tuner on that I believe has no
idea how to change channels.
Even though all the channels are listed in MythTV. I believe all the
channels are listing okay, is because
of the zap2it is providing all the channel data.

The crux is how to tell the Hauppage PVR-250 how to change channels.
If I leave the channel on the default channel 13, then it records the
program no problem at all.
(sounds and everything works great)

There are a couple of things I could try.
1) the LIRC again?
2) reprogram a NEXTLEVEL remote and try to get the PVR-250 to change the
channel.
3) move some of those weird bunny ear antennas on the coax cable that
the NEXTLEVEL remotes  can  "talk to"

Why am I rambling this like? I have no idea. lack of sleep  :)
anyone that has mythtv experience, let me know.

btw I am recording all the installation of the KnoppMyth right from the
hardware on the ground to the working KnoppMyth.
I am using a digital camera.