mythtv channel tuning on vdsl bell expressvu for condos

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Oct 21 19:03:54 UTC 2006

Ok, this is similar to a problem I am now looking at
because:

- I have offered to build a MythTV box for my boss
(who has a satellite system).
- I am doing yet another MythTV related article for a
magazine.

To sum up the problem as I understand it, the set-up
for the Bell is something like the following:

------>Special Bell Box>------->TV Set(s)
 VDSL

As with the old fashion cable TV boxes it is the
Special Bell Box that does channel selection. You
problem is that you don't (yet) know how to get your
Linux PC running MythTV to channel select. So your
currently stuck unable to get your PC to jump from
channel 6 to say channel 50 automatically.

The answer as I understand it one of two possible
possible routes. Route 1 is a VERY SMALL number of
cable/satellite boxes have a USB connector, where you
can just plug the cable from PC to box and go from
there.

Route 2 is to go with an IR blaster, something along
the lines of what is described here:

  http://www.lirc.org/transmitters.html

The idea being that your MythTV box mimics your
current IR remote and fakes the signal of your current
IR remote. There are commercial built IR remotes if
you don't want to play with building your own hardware
(I have just starting on on the question of what is
good/bad, I would love to hear if anyone else on this
list has experience with said hardware).

Colin McGregor