Sickening shilling for MS by Ontario privacy commissioner

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 20 22:22:55 UTC 2006

There isn't much I can say here that Clifford hasn't said very well already.

The only thing I'd like to add is to remember the target audience. In
many important respects, messages like this are not the advocacy of
proprietary versus open, but of security versus non-security. Ie, having
_an_ approach -- even if it's Microsoft's -- is suprior to having no
approach. It's important to distinguish references to Microsoft as a
single source of superior technology (which is legitimate to challenge)
from reference to the company primarily because of its current ubiquity
and "brand awareness" (which is pointless and petty to challenge).

Perhaps the best answer is to agree with the general call for increased
security, while reminding players that they will best achieve their ends
through open, standards-based, multi-vendor approaches. That's way we're
not seen a trying to reframe this as a Windows-versus-Linux argument,
but it serves our cause just as well and will resonate better amongst
technophobes.

- Evan