Sickening shilling for MS by Ontario privacy commissioner

Andrew Chung achung-Et1tbQHTxzrQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 20 23:35:42 UTC 2006

"Have you finished beating up that straw man that you've so artfully
constructed? Do you have specific proof that Microsoft is engaging in
"back room deals" and presumably buying our Privacy Commissioner or are
you just engaging in hyperbole?"

"Back room deals".... would signing a 5 year contract with Microsoft
without going to tender and eliminating all other encumbent vendors
count as "back room"? Quite honestly, I don't really care that they did
based on where I work, but I do care that my tax dollars are being spent
making such decisions without following the procedure that they mandate.

I definitely agree with the privacy commissioner in that such a system
needs to be in place, however, I'm a little concerned that all the
examples given in the paper pertained to Microsoft. Microsoft makes (or
buys then enhances) some really great technologies without a doubt. I
guess the thing that really burns me is that individuals who read it,
won't necessarily read "yes we need a system like this and I'll go out
and use anything to do it", they will read "yes we need a system, and we
need Microsoft" and not think about what else is out there. MS is a
marketing machine and this is another example of that. If you think
people will think about Identity and federation without thinking about
Microsoft after reading this paper, then I'm obviously not reading the
same paper you are. I don't know, maybe there is some value to writing a
paper that mentions a single vendor like Microsoft (I don't know what
that is but I'm open to hearing those value statements), and if their
is, is it more valuable than writing a paper that mentions multiple
vendors?

Governments "should" present unbiased information to its public as a
public service and in this case, it's not unbiased. For individuals
working in the industry, yes, I can see how one may just read the MS
"examples" as examples, but for the general public, ones not in the
industry, they won't read them just as examples. It's marketing hidden
in a public message for crying out loud.

To Ann's credit though, she does put in small print at the very end of
the paper, some links to some other cool identity projects. Why she
didn't talk about them in the paper is beyond me and probably relates
back to my question about value above. Personally I think that if she
did, the paper would have been much more effective. Interestingly
enough, she goes back in her interview to say

"The opportunity is with all players in the identity metasystem working
within a common framework that will provide the user with the benefits
of being able to have a secure and private way of establishing and
maintaining relationships on-line. The good news is that many in the
tech industry, including IBM, Sun, Red Hat, Novell and many telcos have
already aligned around this framework. My job is to get the word out as
broadly as possible that the only way to protect privacy in the future
is to ensure that whatever identity systems are deployed are privacy
protective. Right now, that's simply not the case. In fact, the exact
opposite exists in the current structure of multiple and ineffective
identity systems."

<200610201759.14440.clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>, CLIFFORD ILKAY
<clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:

On Friday 20 October 2006 16:47, David J Patrick wrote:
> On 20/10/06, CLIFFORD ILKAY <clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > I agree. Even if this was a Microsoft specific technology, which
> > it isn't, Microsoft employs some of the most notable computer
> > scientists on the planet so they are bound to have a few good
> > ideas now and then.
>
> So let me see if I got this right;
> If the Ontario's privacy commissioner manages to have us all adopt
> privacy and security measures based on Windows Vista unproven
> technologies, while allowing the Redmond team to inject proprietary
> versions of existing security methods, that will only run on Vista
> (and the very new hardware it requires) and passing the brunt of
> the provinces secure authentication transactions to a private
> company across the border.. you're OK with that ?

I'm waiting for you to ask me if I beat my wife often.

Ontario's Privacy Commissioner isn't advocating we adopt a particular
implementation of this technology. She is advocating the general
concept. I doubt you have read what this identify meta system is all
about because if you had, you would know that you don't have to run
Windows Vista to use it. You're jumping to the conclusion that just
because the word "Microsoft" was mentioned, that this is a Microsoft
specific technology. Moreover, just because something is supported or
promoted by Microsoft doesn't automatically make it bad.

>  If Microsoft does something right, the Linux fan boys still
>
> > attack Microsoft because in their minds, Microsoft has to fail in
> > order for Linux to succeed.
>
> I'm a card carrying linux fanboy because many years ago I realized
> I was being jerked around by the worlds largest software companies
> whose only goal was Global Lock-in and perpetual payment for
> unnecessary upgrades. I jumped on the linux bandwagon back when the
> desktop was still flaky, but I recognised that it was the last
> stronghold of software freedom, and by extension, personal freedom.

Patriotic music plays in the background as our hero wraps himself in
the flag of freedom... :)

--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay