Sickening shilling for MS by Ontario privacy commissioner

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Oct 20 21:59:13 UTC 2006

On Friday 20 October 2006 16:47, David J Patrick wrote:
> On 20/10/06, CLIFFORD ILKAY <clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > I agree. Even if this was a Microsoft specific technology, which
> > it isn't, Microsoft employs some of the most notable computer
> > scientists on the planet so they are bound to have a few good
> > ideas now and then.
>
> So let me see if I got this right;
> If the Ontario's privacy commissioner manages to have us all adopt
> privacy and security measures based on Windows Vista unproven
> technologies, while allowing the Redmond team to inject proprietary
> versions of existing security methods, that will only run on Vista
> (and the very new hardware it requires) and passing the brunt of
> the provinces secure authentication transactions to a private
> company across the border.. you're OK with that ?

I'm waiting for you to ask me if I beat my wife often.

Ontario's Privacy Commissioner isn't advocating we adopt a particular
implementation of this technology. She is advocating the general
concept. I doubt you have read what this identify meta system is all
about because if you had, you would know that you don't have to run
Windows Vista to use it. You're jumping to the conclusion that just
because the word "Microsoft" was mentioned, that this is a Microsoft
specific technology. Moreover, just because something is supported or
promoted by Microsoft doesn't automatically make it bad.

>  If Microsoft does something right, the Linux fan boys still
>
> > attack Microsoft because in their minds, Microsoft has to fail in
> > order for Linux to succeed.
>
> I'm a card carrying linux fanboy because many years ago I realized
> I was being jerked around by the worlds largest software companies
> whose only goal was Global Lock-in and perpetual payment for
> unnecessary upgrades. I jumped on the linux bandwagon back when the
> desktop was still flaky, but I recognised that it was the last
> stronghold of software freedom, and by extension, personal freedom.

Patriotic music plays in the background as our hero wraps himself in
the flag of freedom... :)

> > For Linux to become a mainstream
> > operating system on the desktop, it needs to earn its place on
> > its merits, not just because Windows is supposedly so bad.
>
> LInux IS on the road to mainstream adoption based on it's technical
> merits, but I get my "back up" when I see one of the worlds richest
> companies foist its products on me and my government through
> back-room deals. Do you think that if they are allowed to
> re-engineer "core internet technologies", and impose province wide
> (or Canada wide) proprietary (ie. closed source) security methods,
> that any other software will be allowed survive such an ecosystem ?
> c'mon, their quest for world domination continues, and I'll have
> none of it ! djp

Have you finished beating up that straw man that you've so artfully
constructed? Do you have specific proof that Microsoft is engaging
in "back room deals" and presumably buying our Privacy Commissioner
or are you just engaging in hyperbole?
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay